The Park District in Glasgow’s west end is part of a planned development created by Charles Wilson in the 1850’s. The layout is reminiscent of the Georgian new town in Edinburgh.
The lands at Woodlands Hill were acquired to create the terraces, centered on Park Circus at the summit of the hill. The adjacent West End Park, now known as Kelvingrove Park, was laid out at the same time by the celebrated landscape gardener, Sir Joseph Paxton, as part of Wilson's overall plan. The realisation of the scheme was supervised by the City Surveyor, Thomas Kyle.
Wilson won the architectural competition to design the district's principal public building, Free Church College, in 1856. This building was later known as Trinity College, a name retained when converted to flats in 1985/1986.
The white tower of Park Church remains as a local landmark after the church building was very carefully demolished in 1968/ 1969. It had been completed in 1858 to the designs of J.T. Rochead. The tower is surrounded in scaffolding in the aerial view, below.

Aerial view of Park Circus and surrounding streets

Aerial view of Park Circus and surrounding streets


1858 map of Park Circus and West End Park

1858 map showing incomplete Park Circus and newly formed West End Park


View of the northern side of Park Circus

View of the northern side of Park Circus from the eastern end


View of the northern side of Park Circus

View of the northern side of Park Circus from the western end


End terrace on  southern side of Park Circus

End terrace on southern side of Park Circus at corner with Park Gate, leading to entrance to Kelvingrove Park


Matching railings at entrances to Park Circus

Matching railings at entrances to Park Circus


Stonework at Park Circus

Stonework at Park Circus, well preserved after 150 years


Decorated fireplace in Marriage Suite at 22 Park Circus

Decorated fireplace in Marriage Suite at 22 Park Circus


Illuminated glazed cupola over former Billiard Room at 22 Park Circus

Illuminated glazed cupola over former Billiard Room at 22 Park Circus


White Tower of Park Church

White Tower of Park Church at eastern end of Park Circus Place


View of Park Lane

View of lane between Park Circus and Park Terrace


Stairs leading up to Park Terrace

Stairs leading up to Park Terrace


View of Park Terrace

View of Park Terrace from the east


Row of columns at entrances along Park Terrace

Row of columns at entrances along Park Terrace


Towers of Park Church and Trinity College

Towers of Park Church and Trinity College


View from entrance to Kelvingrove Park looking towards Glasgow University

View from entrance to Kelvingrove Park looking towards Glasgow University


Victorian view of West End Park

Victorian view of West End Park


Victorian view of University from West End Park

Victorian view of University from West End Park


View from Park Terrace looking towards Glasgow University

View from Park Terrace looking towards Glasgow University


View of Park Terrace from banks of River Kelvin in Kelvingrove Park

View back to Park Terrace from banks of River Kelvin in Kelvingrove Park


Towers of Trinity College

Towers of Trinity College


Looking upwards at tower of Trinity College

Looking upwards at tower of Trinity College


Sketch of towers of Trinity College

Edwardian sketch of towers of Trinity College


Lynedoch Crescent, on other side of road from Trinity College

Lynedoch Crescent, on other side of road from Trinity College



Drawing of statue of St George and the Dragon, St Georges Cross, Glasgow © G.Blaikie 2011

 Introduction
-

 Hillhead
-

 North Kelvinside
-

 Great Western Road
-

 Kelvin Walkway
-

 Park District
-

 Woodside & Firhill
-

 Partick
-

 West End Quiz Pages
-

 Dowanhill and Partick Churches
-

 Scotcities Home Page
-

  


 Gerald Blaikie - Prints and Canvasses


All original artwork, photography and text © Gerald Blaikie 2014
Unauthorised reproduction of any image on this website is not permitted.

Contact: admin@scotcities.com