Home Page - scotcities.com    Charles Rennie Mackintosh    Contact   

  

Ruchill Church Hall was erected in 1899 as mission halls for Westbourne Free Church. It has subtle Art Nouveau touches especially in the internal glazing and door panels.
The building shows a refreshing lack of modernisation, leaving all the original Mackintosh features intact, a century after they were created.
Visitors will receive a friendly welcome in the "Mackintosh Tea Room", providing refreshments for guests enjoying the architecture.

Ruchill Church Hall viewed from the north

Ruchill Church Hall viewed from the north


Extract from Glasgow Herald, 29th May 1899, regarding Ruchill Church Hall

Extract from Glasgow Herald, 29th May 1899, regarding memorial stone for Ruchill Church Hall


Archetypical Mackintosh motif on front door of Ruchill Church Hall

Archetypical Mackintosh motif on front door of Ruchill Church Hall


Stonework over doorway of Ruchill Church Hall

Stonework over doorway of Ruchill Church Hall


Mackintosh detailing on internal door at Ruchill Church Hall

Mackintosh detailing on internal door at Ruchill Church Hall


Stylised Mackintosh rose on internal glazing of Ruchill Church Hall

Stylised Mackintosh rose on internal glazing of Ruchill Church Hall


Green leaf motifs in glass at Ruchill Church Hall

Green leaf motifs in glass at Ruchill Church Hall


Detailing on door at Committee Room of Ruchill Church Hall

Detailing on door at Committee Room of Ruchill Church Hall


Screen at Ruchill Church Hall

Screen at Ruchill Church Hall


Doorway at Ruchill Church Hall, Glasgow

Doorway at Ruchill Church Hall, Glasgow


Curved stair tower of Ruchill Church Hall

Curved stair tower of Ruchill Church Hall


View of red sandstone Ruchill Church and adjacent hall

View of red sandstone Ruchill Church and adjacent hall


Ruchill United Free Church, now known as Ruchill Parish Church, was built in a contrasting style to Mackintosh's hall. The red sandstone building with a squat square tower was designed by Neil Campbell Duff, with no attempt to match the style or the colour of its neighbour. The two buildings are linked by a red sandstone Gothic archway.

Sketch of Ruchill Free Church, Glasgow, 1906

Sketch of Ruchill Free Church, Glasgow, 1906



  Lighthouse

  Scotland Street School

  House for an Art Lover

  Martyrs School

  Obituary to CRM -1928

  CRM - Home page

  Queen's Cross Church

  Glasgow School of Art

  Willow Tearooms

  Daily Record Building

  Ruchill Church Hall

  Gaudi and Mackintosh

  


 Gerald Blaikie - Prints and Canvasses


All original artwork, photography and text © Gerald Blaikie 2014
Unauthorised reproduction of any image on this website is not permitted.

Contact: admin@scotcities.com