Home Page - scotcities.com    Contact   

old edinburgh landmarks, historic buildings


Drawing of copper dome at West Register House, fomerly St George's Church, Edinburgh

Copper clad dome at former St George's Church, Charlotte Square, Edinburgh


Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh

Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh

In the middle of the nineteenth century Edinburgh's reputation as "Athens of the North" was enhanced by the erection of the Royal Institution on the south side of Princes Street, which was built in stages over a period of many years. It was completed in 1836, one year before the beginning of Queen Victoria's long reign which would last for the rest of the century.
In 1844, at the height of the British Empire, William Playfair's original building was further embellished by the addition of an enormous statue of Her Imperial Majesty surveying the crowds in the Capital's busiest shopping street.
Since 1911 the building has been the home of the Royal Scottish Academy, which has a magnificent collection of works by Scottish artists. It is the ideal hiding place for art-lovers with partners who are shopping on the other side of the street!


Drawing of clock tower at Balmoral Hotel, Waverley Station, Edinburgh

Clock tower over Balmoral Hotel at Waverley Station, Edinburgh

You can always tell the time wherever you are in Princes Street thanks to the huge clock tower of the former North British Railway Hotel at the eastern end of the street. The hotel was built in the heyday of Victorian railway development as part of Waverley Station, Edinburgh's mainline terminal with connections to Glasgow and the great cities of England.

The hotel was completed in 1902 to the proposals of W. Hamilton Beattie, who had won the design competition in 1895.


Drawing of Scott Monument, Princes Street Gardens, Edinburgh

Scott Monument, Princes Street Gardens, Edinburgh

The design competition for the Scott Monument in Princes Street Gardens attracted 55 entrants in 1837. The eventual winner was George Meikle Kemp, who created a massive Victorian Gothic tower to surround the statue of Sir Walter Scott, crafted by John Steell.
Edinburgh born Scott was a popular author throughout the English speaking world, writing adventure novels such as "Ivanhoe" and "Rob Roy". Following his death in 1832, a sum of £6000 was raised to create a suitable monument in the city centre.
The landmark monument was completed in 1846, two years after its designer, George Kemp, had been found dead in the Union Canal.


Drawing of Nelson Monument, Calton Hill, Edinburgh

Nelson Monument, Calton Hill, Edinburgh

The Nelson Monument was erected at the summit of Calton Hill between 1807 and 1815 to commemorate Horatio Nelson's victory at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.
The architect, Robert Burn, designed the monument in the shape of Nelson's familiar telescope.

In 1853 a time ball was placed on top of the monument for the benefit of shipping in the port of Leith who could set their chronometers with the one o’clock time signal.
It was installed by the same firm who created the time ball at the Greenwich Observatory in London.


Bank House, Edinburgh

Bank of Scotland Head Office

Sitting loftily above Princes Street Gardens, Bank House is an impressive sight, especially at night when it is floodlit.
The restrained Baroque building appears as a completely integrated design but it was built in stages over a period of over 60 years, beginning with Robert Reid and Richard Crichton's original building of 1806. The central copper clad dome, inspired by the dome of Karlskirche in Vienna, as well the side wings were added in the 1860's by David Bryce. The monumental façade set on rock which we see today is a tribute to Bryce's ability to seamlessly adapt a 60 year old building to fashion a totally new composition.


Tower of St John's Church, Princes Street, Edinburgh

Tower of St John's Church, Princes Street, Edinburgh

St John's Episcopal Church is situated below the castle at the western end of Princes Street. The building was built between 1815 and 1818 to the designs of the architect William Burn.

The tower (illustrated above) shows influences of Norman and Early English Gothic styles. It does not share the styling of typical Perpendicular Gothic Revival churches of the 19th Century which feature tall towers with spires reaching towards the heavens.
The tower is much more like those at the University Colleges of Oxford and Cambridge, particularly Magdalen College, Oxford.


General Register House

General Register House

Register House at the eastern end of Princes Street was designed by Robert Adam while he was living in England. His brothers, James and John assisted him at the planning stage and supervised the construction of the building, which lasted from 1774 to 1786. The edifice is built with classical symmetry and features a magnificent central dome. Register House is where Scotland's state records and historical documents are stored.


West Register House, Edinburgh

West Register House, Edinburgh

The former St Georges Church is situated in Robert Adam's Charlotte Square, which he never lived to see completed. The church was built in 1814 to designs by Adam's pupil, Robert Reid, who followed in his masters footsteps when it came to classical styling. Reid also designed Parliament Square around Scotland's original Parliament House which is featured in the 'Royal Mile' page of this site
The church is now used as West Register House, an annexe to General Register House, which is illustrated above.


Bute House, Edinburgh

Bute House, Edinburgh

Plaque at Bute House, Edinburgh

Also in Charlotte Square is the official residence of Scotland’s First Minister, Bute House, which is the centrepiece of a monumental terrace designed by Robert Adam in 1791. It is Scotland's answer to 10 Downing Street.
The main feature is the heavily decorated central pediment which is surrounded on either side by 10 decorated bays along the length of the massive palace-like façade which fills the northern side of Charlotte Square.
Bute House hosts meetings of the Scottish Executive’s cabinet and is also used for official receptions and for receiving foreign dignatories. The drawing room on the first floor of the house has been carefully preserved and is regarded as one of the best examples of Adam inspired styling to be found in Scotland.

Drawing of Bute House, Edinburgh

Upper levels of Bute House, Edinburgh

Robert Adam, architect

Robert Adam


St Mary's Roman Catholic Cathedral, Edinburgh

Front of St Mary's Roman Catholic Cathedral, Edinburgh

In 1802 Bishop Alexander Cameron acquired land at Broughton Street at the eastern end of the New Town to build a new Catholic chapel.
The building, which would later become St Mary's Roman Catholic Cathedral, was designed by James Gillespie Graham.
The drawing above shows the English Perpendicular Gothic gable, which is all that remains of Graham’s original chapel, which opened in 1814. The style dates from 13th and 14th century England, in contrast to the Georgian Neo-Classical designs of the surrounding buildings at the time.
Following the restoration of the Scottish hierarchy in 1878, St Mary’s Chapel was elevated to the status of Cathedral.
A fire in 1891 led to the reconstruction of the interior by architect, James Biggar.
Most of the internal furnishings shown below are 20th century additions. The white alabaster canopy supported by marble columns, below right, was modelled on the Italian baldachins, typically found in the high Baroque churches of Rome. It was designed of Reginald Fairlie in 1928.

View of the interior of St Mary's Roman Catholic Cathedral, Edinburgh Altar and baldacchino at St Mary's Roman Catholic Cathedral, Edinburgh

Stations of the cross at St Mary's Roman Catholic Cathedral, Edinburgh

The Stations of the Cross at the south aisle of St Mary's R.C. Cathedral were created by Franz Mayer & Company from Munich, Germany.


In the years leading to the end of the century the English Gothic Revival had crossed the border to become established in Scotland.
Sir George Gilbert Scott was the most fashionable practitioner of the time in England, and he was asked to design Edinburgh's Episcopal Cathedral, St Mary's, in the Western New Town.
The cathedral was built between 1874 and 1879, with later embellishments.
Scott had previously designed the new buildings for Glasgow University at Gilmorehill (1870) and St Mary’s Episcopal Cathedral, in Great Western Road, Glasgow (1871).

St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral, Edinburgh

Central tower and spire of St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral, Edinburgh

St Mary’s is the largest ecclesiastical building in Scotland, built with a large budget of over £100,000.
The huge central tower, illustrated above, is very elaborate with lots of details that could be missed with casual observation. Like its counterpart in Glasgow the spire is centred on a statue of the Blessed Virgin, standing in a niche high above the Edinburgh cityscape.

View of the interior of St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral, Edinburgh Pulpit at St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral, Edinburgh

The interior of the cathedral features a massive Gothic vaulted roof leading your eye towards the highly decorative altar and reredos created with carved alabaster and marble.
The octagonal pulpit, above right, has carved panels featuring St Peter, St John the Baptist and the four evangelists.


Edinburgh Central Library

Edinburgh Central Library

The Edinburgh Central Library on George IV Bridge is the only Carnegie library in Scotland's capital city.
Andrew Carnegie laid the memorial foundation stone on 9th July 1887. Three years later the library was officially opened by Lord Rosebery on 9th June 1890, with the public allowed access one week later.

The library building was designed by George Washington Browne in the French Renaissance style with much elaborate decoration.
The front elevation, with the entrance on George IV Bridge is deceptive, as there are actually 4 storeys below the bridge, with the library standing in the gorge below. The elevations below the bridge are completely unadorned.

If you wish to find out more about the Carnegie Libraries of Scotland you should visit my web site devoted to these fascinating buildings.


Mc Ewan Halls, Edinburgh

McEwan Hall, Edinburgh University

The drinking man has indirectly contributed to Edinburgh's architectural diversity in the form of two halls financed by William McEwan and Andrew Usher.

McEwan Hall in Teviot Place is part of Edinburgh University and serves as the venue for graduation ceremonies and other academic events. The semi-circular classical amphitheatre is crowned with a huge dome over the main auditorium. The intricacies of the structure entailed lengthy building works and it took nearly a decade before it was eventually completed in 1897.
The architect, Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, had a prodigious output in a variety of styles. He designed lots of churches, monuments, schools and other public buildings throughout the city. His most monumental work was the huge Scottish National Portrait Gallery in Queen Street. He also turned his hand to church furnishings such as the pulpit of St Giles Cathedral and the lavish altar of St Mary's R.C. Cathedral.
McEwan Hall was Anderson's most flamboyant creation, produced with a budget which allowed for extravagance in both its internal and external finishes.


Usher Hall, Edinburgh

Usher Hall, Lothian Road

Andrew Usher was the benefactor of Usher Hall in Lothian Road which is owned and operated by the City of Edinburgh Council. It is the city's top concert venue and is reputed to have much better acoustics, if not better architecture, than the McEwan Hall.
The architectural competition was won by an English architect, J. Stockdale Harrison, whose muted Baroque design fits in well with the local streetscape. The hexagonal structure has 3 main entrances to Lothian Road, each attractively decorated by local sculptors. It is roofed with a flat topped, copper clad dome.
Andrew Usher never lived to see the finished hall which bears his name. He died in 1898, two years after making his donation of £100,000 and 16 years before the completion of the building in 1914.


Royal Bank of Scotland

Royal Bank of Scotland

The Royal Bank of Scotland's head office on the eastern side of St Andrew's Square was completed in 1774 as a mansion house for Sir Laurence Dundas. The architect, William Chambers, was also responsible for Somerset House in London.
The Royal Bank acquired the house in 1825 for use as their head office, and later extended to the rear of the building. It is typical of the "New Town" style for buildings constructed at the peak of Edinburgh's Georgian elegance.

Engraving of Royal Bank of Scotland

Engraving of Royal Bank of Scotland, Edinburgh


Clubhouse at St Andrews

Clubhouse at Royal & Ancient, St Andrews

If you leave the city by either road or rail and cross one of the Forth bridges you will arrive in Fife, an historic county with many interesting buildings. The home of golf is to be found in Fife, at St Andrews, where the clubhouse of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club was built in various stages by different architects.
It started off in 1854 as a small single storey building by local architect, George Rae. It was soon realised that the clubhouse was not large enough to serve its purpose. The building was extended in 1866 and and again in 1882 when the upper storey was added. The clubhouse as we see it today was completed in 1900.


st Vincent Street Church, Glasgow

 Introduction
Scottish City Architecture

 The Royal Mile
Edinburgh's Ancient Heart

 Central Glasgow
A Walk About Town

 Edinburgh Landmarks
Capital Attractions

 Merchant City
Old Glasgow Sights

 Edinburgh Photograph Album
Favourite Capital Snaps

 Explore Glasgow
All Over the City

 Commercial Glasgow
Offices and Warehouses

 Charles Rennie Mackintosh
Architect and Designer

 Alexander Greek Thomson
Architect

 Jack Coia
Early Works

 Townhead
Around Glasgow Cathedral

 Carnegie Libraries of Scotland
Landmarks of Literacy

 Cathcart Circle Architecture
A railway tour

 Glasgow's South Side
Illustrated Guides

 Stations and Ferries
Vanished Glasgow

 Glasgow's West End
Architecture and History

 Links Page
Other Sites of Interest

 Gorbals
Hutchesontown & Laurieston

 Glasgow Quiz Pages
Test your knowledge

 Architectural Landmarks
England, Ireland and USA

-

 Gerald Blaikie - Prints and Canvasses


All original artwork, photography and text © Gerald Blaikie 2014
Unauthorised reproduction of any image on this website is not permitted.

Contact: admin@scotcities.com