Interior view of 
St Anne's Church

St Annes's Church in Whitevale Street, Dennistoun, is the earliest church credited to the Scottish-Italian architect, Jack Coia. The Grade "A" listed building was completed in 1933.
The church takes its cruciform shape from a series of semi-circular reinforced concrete portals converging on a central apex which can be seen both from the internal view, above, and the aerial view, below. Archbishop Mario Conti has described St Anne's as the "Jewel of the Archdiocese".

 

Cruciform shape of St Annes's church

In keeping with the tradition of early cruciform churches, the altar is situated as near as possible to the geographical east at the top of the picture. The "arms" of the cross, either side of the nave are the transcepts containing the side altars and the baptistry.
The portal frame is infilled with brick walls and topped with a steep mansard roof finished with slate.

The external sculpture and the gilded stone Stations of the Cross inside the church were carved by Archibald Dawson, who had become head of modelling and sculpture at Glasgow School of Art in 1929.


Altar at St Anne's Church

Altar at St Anne's Church lit with early morning sunshine from the south east.


Internal view to entrance of St Anne's Church

View towards the south west corner of the church with interesting lighting effects where the tall round-headed vertical windows meet the semi-circular concrete portal frame.


View towards pulpit and side altar at St Anne's Church

Looking towards the pulpit and the side altar in the northern transcept of the church.


Internal view at St Anne's Church

Looking from under the central apex towards the north west corner of the church where the confessionals are situated.


Decorated arch in side aisle at St Anne's Church

Decorated arch in side aisle at St Anne's Church.


Decorated arch in side aisle at St Anne's Church

Strange curved light and shadows at arch in side aisle at St Anne's Church.


Fourteenth and final carving of the Stations of the Cross by Archibald Dawson

Fourteenth and final carving of the Stations of the Cross by Archibald Dawson, "Jesus is laid in the tomb".


Looking towards entrance to St Anne's Church

Internal view, looking towards entrance to St Anne's Church.


Baptismal font at St Anne's Church

Baptismal font in southern transcept of St Anne's Church.


View towards lady altar at St Anne's Church

View towards Lady altar in southern transcept of St Anne's Church.


Windows at St Anne's Church

Tall round-headed windows in southern transcept of St Anne's Church.


Western fašade of St Anne's Church

Western fašade of St Anne's Church, fronting Whitevale Street


South facing windows at St Anne's Church in strong winter sunshine

South facing windows at St Anne's Church in strong winter sunshine


View of south fašade of St Anne's Church from the gardens

View from the gardens of south fašade of St Anne's Church, with deep shadows cast by the presbytery.


Presbytery at St Anne's Church

Presbytery at St Anne's Church.


View of roof structure at St Anne's Church

View of roof structure over portal frame at southern transcept of St Anne's Church.


Keystone at central entrance to St Anne's Church

The keystone at the central entrance features a carving of the Madonna and Child by Archibald Dawson.


Early works of Jack Coia

St Anne's Church, Dennistoun

St Columba's Church, Woodside

St Charles' Church, North Kelvinside

Scotcities Home Page


All original artwork, photography and text ©Gerald Blaikie 2014
Unauthorised reproduction of any image on this website is not permitted.

Contact: admin@scotcities.com