Home Page - scotcities.com    South Side Guides    Contact   


Entrance to Pollok Country Park at 2060 Pollokshaws Road, under the railway bridge

Entrance to Pollok Country Park at 2060 Pollokshaws Road, under the railway bridge


View of clubhouse and grounds of Poloc Cricket Club from riverside path

View of clubhouse and grounds of Poloc Cricket Club from riverside path


Slow moving stretch of White Cart Water at Pollok Country Park

Slow moving stretch of White Cart Water at Pollok Country Park


Park bench on riverside path, carved from old tree trunk

Park bench on riverside path, carved from old tree trunk


Fish head carved on rain-soaked park bench on riverside path

Fish head carved on rain-soaked park bench on riverside path


Highland Cattle grazing in Pollok Country Park

Highland Cattle grazing in Pollok Country Park


White springtime blossom growing at side of riverside path

White springtime blossom growing at side of riverside path


1740's map of Pollok Estate before Pollok House was erected

1740's map of Pollok Estate showing the former settlement of Polloktoun, also known as Pooktoun or Pollok Town

The castle which was situated at the site of the stables was known as the 'Laigh' or Low Castle, seat of the Maxwells of Pollok. It is not to be confused with Pollok Castle in the parish of Mearns, Renfrewshire, seat of the Pollok family.


The Maxwells of Pollok were kinsfolk of the Maxwells of Caerlaverock, Dumfriesshire, who had relocated to the parish of Eastwood, Renfrewshire, in the late thirteenth century.

The Maxwells were supporters of Mary Queen of Scots at the Battle of Langside on 13th May 1568. After her escape from Lochleven and arrival at Hamilton, Mary sent this letter dated "ye 5th day of May 1568" to "Ye Laird of Nether Pollok", seeking his backing. This letter is preserved in Pollok House along with an oil portrait of the Queen.

Letter from Mary Queen of Scots to Sir John Maxwell of Pollok, prior to Battle of Langside

Letter from Mary Queen of Scots to Sir John Maxwell of Pollok, prior to Battle of Langside


1850's map of Pollok Estate

1850's map of Pollok Estate after Pollok House was built and the settlement at Polloktoun was removed


Entrance to Old Stable Courtyard on approaches to Pollok House

Entrance to Old Stable Courtyard on approaches to Pollok House


Engraving showing entrance to stables at Pollok House

Engraving showing entrance to stables at Pollok House


Picnic table at weir on White Cart Water

Picnic table at weir on White Cart Water


Winter sunshine on weir at White Cart Water

Winter sunshine on weir at White Cart Water


Mill powered by White Cart Water, near Pollok House

Old photograph of mill powered by White Cart Water, near Pollok House


Another photograph of working sawmill and weir near to Pollok House

Another photograph of working sawmill and weir near to Pollok House


Work on the construction of Pollok House had begun in 1752, four years after the death of its architect, William Adam. The erection of the house was supervised by his sons, John and Robert Adam.
The engraving below shows Pollok House in 1859, before the addition of the side wings at the end of the century.

Engraving showing visit of Prince of Wales to Pollok House

Engraving showing visit of Prince of Wales, Baron Renfrew, to Pollok House on 15th August, 1859


View of south fašade of Pollok House facing the river

View of south fašade of Pollok House, facing the river


Engraving showing south fašade of Pollok House

Engraving showing bridge and south fašade of Pollok House


Lions guarding the gateway to Pollok House

Lions guarding the gateway to Pollok House


Lions feature in the arms of 'Maxwell of Poloc', along with a Turk's head

Lions feature in the arms of 'Maxwell of Poloc', along with a Turk's head


Stone urn at rear of Pollok House

Stone urn at rear of Pollok House


Aerial view of the site of Polloktoun

Aerial view of Pollok House and the site of Polloktoun, most of which is now part of Pollok Golf Course


Stone bridge over White Cart Water at Pollok House

Stone bridge over White Cart Water at Pollok House


Ducks swimming along White Cart Water

Ducks swimming along White Cart Water


Archway at western approaches to Pollok House

Archway at western approaches to Pollok House


Archway at western approaches to Pollok House

Light and shadow through the archway into the courtyard


1654 map of the section of Renfrewshire from Crookston to Cathcart

1654 map of the section of Renfrewshire from Crookston to Cathcart



Dixon Halls, Crosshill

Gorbals
-

Pollokshields, Garden Suburb
-

Govan
-

Strathbungo & Crossmyloof
-

Mount Florida
-

Pollok Park & the Burrell
-

Langside and Battlefield
-

White Cart Walk, Pollok Park
-

King's Park
-

Rivers: Brock, Levern & Cart
-

Castlemilk
-

Pollokshaws & Auldhouse
-

Queen's Park Churches
-

Shawlands & Pollokshaws Churches
-

Muirend to Cathcart
-

Old Cathcart
-

Newlands
-

White Cart Walk, Linn Park
-

Cathcart Circle - A Railway Tour
-

East Renfrewshire Suburbs
-

All original artwork, photography and text © Gerald Blaikie 2016
Unauthorised reproduction of any image on this website is not permitted.

Contact: admin@scotcities.com