Home Page - scotcities.com    South Side Guides    Contact   


Cathcart Old Parish church, completed in 1929

Cathcart Old Parish church, completed in 1929


Tower of Cathcart Old Parish Church

Tower of Cathcart Old Parish Church


Gable of Cathcart Old Parish Church

Gable of Cathcart Old Parish Church


Norman styled Cathcart Old Parish Church, built 1831

Norman styled Cathcart Old Parish Church, built 1831


Deep shadows on the earlier Cathcart Old Parish Church

Deep shadows on the earlier Cathcart Old Parish Church


Tower of earlier Cathcart Old Parish Church

Tower of earlier Cathcart Old Parish Church


Tower of earlier Cathcart Old Parish Church

Night view of tower of earlier Cathcart Old Parish Church


Victorian photograph of earlier Cathcart Old Parish Church while still complete

Victorian photograph of earlier Cathcart Old Parish Church while still complete


Drawing of the two towers of Cathcart Old Parish Church - 1831 & 1929 versions

Drawing of the two towers of Cathcart Old Parish Church - 1831 & 1929 versions


Looking up Old Castle Road towards Court Knowe and the site of the demolished Cathcart Castle

Looking up Old Castle Road towards Court Knowe and the site of the demolished Cathcart Castle


Ruins of Cathcart Castle

Ruins of Cathcart Castle

A more detailed history of Cathcart Castle can be viewed at a dedicated page of this website


Walls of Cathcart Castle

Parts of the walls of Cathcart Castle built into the cliffside overlooking Linn Park


Victorian painting of Cathcart Castle

Victorian painting of Cathcart Castle


Etching of Cathcart Castle viewed from parkland below

Etching of Cathcart Castle viewed from parkland below


Memorial stone at Court Knowe marking the spot where Mary Queen of Scots watched the Battle of Langside

"Mary R" monogram on stone at Court Knowe marking the spot where Mary Queen of Scots watched the Battle of Langside


Etching of Mary Queen of Scots

Etching of Mary Queen of Scots

The story of Queen Mary's time with her kinsfolk, the Stuarts of Castlemilk, can be seen in a dedicated page of this website.


Rock at Court Knowe, behind the monument dedicated to Queen Mary

Rock at Court Knowe, behind the monument dedicated to Queen Mary


House at Court Knowe, home of the Mather family c.1890 (Photo courtesy of Pat Meister)

House at Court Knowe, home of the Mather family c.1890 (Photo courtesy of Pat Meister)


Painting of gatehouse at Cathcart Castle

Painting of gatehouse at Cathcart Castle, 1880

Photograph of entrance to gatehouse at Cathcart Castle, 2014

Photograph of remaining old wall at entrance to gatehouse at Cathcart Castle, 2014


Cathcart's blacksmith's shop while unoccupied

Cathcart's blacksmith's shop while unoccupied , before becoming the 'Old Smiddy' pub


The Old Smiddy, Cathcart's first restored pub after losing its 'Dry Area' status

The Old Smiddy, Cathcart's first restored pub after losing its 'Dry Area' status which took effect in 1921


Reflection on the Old Smiddy

Reflection on the Old Smiddy, which first opened as a licensed restaurant in the mid-1970's


Cathcart had lost its licensed premises following a 'Veto Poll' of all 37 of Glasgow's municipal wards on 2nd November 1920. The licences for Cathcart's five public houses expired on 28th May 1921 and were not renewed.
Ironically the electorate of the Gorbals and Hutchesontown wards, which had a combined total of 168 pubs, voted for 'No Change' to their licensed status, not foreseeing that a few decades later they would be transported en-masse to Castlemilk, which was situated in the alcohol-free Cathcart ward.

The village's most noted place of refreshment was 'Granny Roberston's Inn' in Snuff Mill Road, near the old bridge. This pub was popular both with locals and for day trippers from the city enjoying the scenery.

Painting of Granny Robertson's Inn, Snuff Mill Road, Cathcart

Painting of Granny Robertson's Inn, Snuff Mill Road, Cathcart


Another view of Granny Robertson's hostelry, Cathcart

Another view of Granny Robertson's hostelry, which was demolished c.1892


Early view of Snuff Mill Bridge and Granny Robertson's Inn, Cathcart

Early view of Snuff Mill Bridge and Granny Robertson's Inn, Cathcart

The image above, painted in oils on a timber panel, shows an oversized view of Granny Robertson's Inn relative to the Snuff Mill Bridge in the foreground. The hostelry was situated on the odd numbered side of Snuff Mill Road.
The painting must date from before 1863, when Lindsay House (below) was built on the even-numbered side of the road nearest the bridge.


Rear fašade of Lindsay House viewed from Snuff Mill Bridge

Rear fašade of Lindsay House viewed from Snuff Mill Bridge


Lindsay House, Snuff Mill Road

Lindsay House, Snuff Mill Road, pre-dates most Glasgow tenements


Plaque at Lindsay House, Cathcart

Monogram showing the letters of "LINDSAY", dated 1863, half a century before Cathcart became part of Glasgow


Old photograph of Lindsay House and Snuff Mill Bridge with children playing by the riverbank

Old photograph of Lindsay House and Snuff Mill Bridge with children playing by the riverbank


Blocked up doorway on lane from Netherlee Road to Snuff Mill Bridge

Blocked up doorway on lane from Netherlee Road to Snuff Mill Bridge


The Snuff Mill, Cathcart

The Snuff Mill, Cathcart


Reflection of old bridge on window of Snuff Mill, Cathcart

Reflection of old bridge on window of Snuff Mill, Cathcart


Plaque at Snuff Mill, Cathcart

Plaque at Snuff Mill, Cathcart


Mill house adjacent to the Snuff Mill with Lindsay House in the background

Mill house adjacent to the Snuff Mill with Lindsay House in the background


1850's map of Cathcart

1850's map of Cathcart



Dixon Halls, Crosshill

Gorbals
-

Pollokshields, Garden Suburb
-

Govan
-

Strathbungo & Crossmyloof
-

Mount Florida
-

Pollok Park & the Burrell
-

Langside and Battlefield
-

White Cart Walk, Pollok Park
-

King's Park
-

Rivers: Brock, Levern & Cart
-

Castlemilk
-

Pollokshaws & Auldhouse
-

Queen's Park Churches
-

Shawlands & Pollokshaws Churches
-

Muirend to Cathcart
-

Old Cathcart
-

Newlands
-

White Cart Walk, Linn Park
-

Cathcart Circle - A Railway Tour
-

East Renfrewshire Suburbs
-

All original artwork, photography and text © Gerald Blaikie 2016
Unauthorised reproduction of any image on this website is not permitted.

Contact: admin@scotcities.com