Plaque at monument commemorating the Battle of Langside

Plaque at monument commemorating the Battle of Langside


Details of the Battle of Langside

Details of the Battle of Langside from Peoples History of Glasgow, 1899

The story of Queen Mary's time with her kinsfolk, the Stuarts of Castlemilk, can be seen in a dedicated page of this website.

 


Display at Langside Library commemorating 450th anniversary of Battle of Langside, 2018

Display at Langside Library commemorating 450th anniversary of Battle of Langside, 2018


Langside Monument, erected in 1887

Langside Monument, designed by Alexander Skirving and erected in 1887


Extract from The People's History of Glasgow 1899

Extract from The People's History of Glasgow , 1899


Lion with cannon ball sitting  on top of Langside Monument

Lion with cannon ball sitting on top of Langside Monument


Tramcar at Langside Monument

Tramcar at Langside Monument


View of cottages at Langside village with Queen's Park in the background

View of cottages at Langside village with Queen's Park in the background


View of Langside monument and advertising hoardings from Queen's Park

View of Langside monument and advertising hoardings from Queen's Park


Edwardian scene at top of Millbrae, Langside

Edwardian scene at top of Millbrae, Langside


White Cart Water at the foot of Millbrae, Langside has for a long time been liable to burst its banks. The river defences have been tested on numerous occasions with a particularly bad episode of flooding occurring in December 1984. The brick and concrete lined channel behind the houses of Millbrae Crescent, shown in this photograph from 1933, has been strengthened and enlarged in recent years to prevent further flooding.

Flood defences at bottom of Millbrae, Langside, 1933

Brick and concrete lined channel for flood defences at bottom of Millbrae, Langside, 1933


The 1930's flood defences proved inadequate and the rear of Millbrae Crescent now has a riverside walkway with a 6 foot high flood defence wall which blocks the previous access from the rear of the houses, as seen in the 1933 photograph.

Massive new flood defence wall at rear of Millbrae Crescent

Massive new flood defence wall at rear of Millbrae Crescent

End of massive wall for flood defences at rear of Millbrae Crescent


The original terraces of Millbrae Crescent were designed by Alexander 'Greek' Thomson and built in the mid-1870's. Photographs and details of Alexander Thomson's Terraces are featured in a dedicated page of this website.

>Original ironwork and street lamp at corner of Millbrae Crescent, Langside c.1930

Original ironwork and street lamp at corner of Millbrae Crescent, Langside, c.1930


>Replicated and extended ironwork and replacement street lamp at corner of Millbrae Crescent, 2017

Replicated and extended ironwork and replacement street lamp at corner of Millbrae Crescent, 2017


Houses in Millbrae Crescent, Langside, designed by Alexander 'Greek' Thomson

Houses in Millbrae Crescent showing extended ironwork


Pattern, with 1867 kitemark, used to create replica iron railings for Millbrae Crescent

Pattern, with 1867 kitemark, used to create replica iron railings for Millbrae Crescent


There were a number of grand mansion houses in the district, most notably Langside House, Rawcliffe House and Camphill House.

Langside House was designed by the eminent architect Robert Adam in 1777 and was situated on a hilltop, giving magnificent views of the surrounding countryside. In 1953 it was converted for use as a preparatory school for St Aloysius College by Gillespie Kidd and Coia, but was demolished before the end of the decade.

Langside House, designed by Robert Adam, 1777

Langside House, designed by Robert Adam, 1777


The "Bluebell Wood", adjacent to Langside House, was the site of a prehistoric artefact dating from around 3000 BC, shown below. This sandstone slab, with its carved motifs facing the heavens, measured 1.45 metres in length. It was situated near the top of a hillside sloping down towards the White Cart Water, with an open view to the south. The stone is currently in the possession of Glasgow Museums, having been moved from its original location in the late 19th century.

Langside Stone

Diagram showing markings on Langside Stone

It was noted that when the stone was lying at its original site the longer axis was aligned north and south, with the opposite axis aligned east and west. The position of the stone was ideal for following the sun in its daily course across the southern sky.
Mr Ludovic Mann contributed an article to the Glasgow Herald in September 1930 in which he came up with a a theory that the symbols carved on the surface represented a form of astronomical map. He produced a diagram, shown left, in which the markings of the stone formed part of a stellar clock or calendar, recording long periods of cyclical events using the position of the sun and the constellations. He went to great lengths to explain with comparisons of similar ancient artefacts from Central America and the Near East.


Rawcliffe House in Mansionhouse Road dates back to 1862 when it was designed for Alexander Bannatyne Stewart by John Burnet Senior, whose drawing was exhibited at the annual exhibition of the Glasgow Institute of Fine Arts in 1874.
The house came into the possession of an order of Carmelite Sisters in 1918, who subsequently occupied the premises as a convent.
The house has since been converted into 13 self-contained flats, first occupied at the end of 2011. The garden grounds have been used for the erection of three modern apartment blocks surrounding the old manson house.

Rawcliffe House, Langside

Rawcliffe House, Langside


Rawcliffe House from the south-east

Rawcliffe House, viewed from the south-east, October 2015


Modern housing block in grounds of Rawcliffe House, Langside

Modern housing block in grounds of Rawcliffe House, Langside


Camphill House, within Queen's Park

Camphill House, Queen's Park, designed by David Hamilton c.1800


Portico at Camphill House

Portico at Camphill House


Victorian sketch of Camphill House

Victorian sketch of Camphill House


View of Camphill House from Queen's Park

Victorian view of Camphill House from Queen's Park


The Victoria Infirmary was established with the proceeds of the estate of Robert Couper, who with his brother James operated the Millholm Paper Mill on the banks of the White Cart Water in Cathcart.

1850's map of Langside and Queen's Park before the Victoria Infirmary was built

1850's map of Langside and Queen's Park before the Victoria Infirmary was built


After Robert Couper died childless on 12th June 1883 he bequeathed the residue of his estate, around 45,000, for an infirmary and convalescent home in the district. As a condition of his will no portion of the bequest was available until the death of his widow. In December 1887, Mrs Couper generously offered the directors of the infirmary 10,000 to allow them to commence building operations. A Parliamentary Act was passed in June 1888, allowing building work to commence in July 1888.
The Victoria Infirmary, designed by Campbell Douglas & Sellars, opened on 14th February, 1890.

Portrait of Robert Couper of Millholm, Cathcart, benefactor of Victoria Infirmary

Robert Couper of Millholm, Cathcart, benefactor of Victoria Infirmary


Langside Road entrance to the Victoria Infirmary, Glasgow

Langside Road entrance to the Victoria Infirmary, Glasgow


Balconies attached to wards at the Victoria Infirmary, Glasgow

Drawing by Gerald Blaikie of balconies at the Nightingale wards of the Victoria Infirmary


Schoolchildren at the Victoria Infirmary before it was completed

Schoolchildren at the Victoria Infirmary before the multi-storey wards were completed


View of unoccupied Victoria Infirmary awaiting redevelopment

View of unoccupied Victoria Infirmary awaiting redevelopment, October 2016


Boarded up Victoria Infirmary awaiting redevelopment, September 2016

Boarded up Victoria Infirmary awaiting redevelopment, September 2016


Battlefield Rest with Victoria Infirmary under goingdemolition, November 2017

Battlefield Rest with Victoria Infirmary undergoing demolition, November 2017


Victoria Infirmary being demolished, November 2017

Victoria Infirmary being demolished, November 2017


Demolition workers on crane at Victoria Infirmary, November 2017

Demolition workers on crane at Victoria Infirmary, November 2017


New Victoria Hospital, September 2016

New Victoria Hospital, September 2016


Aerial view of Victoria Infirmary before demolition and redevelopment

Aerial view of Victoria Infirmary before demolition and redevelopment

 

Aerial view of Victoria Infirmary before demolition and redevelopment

Aerial view of New Victoria Hospital under construction


Langside Library, Glasgow's final Carnegie library, designed by George Simpson, 1915

Langside Library, Glasgow's final Carnegie library, designed by George Simpson, 1915


Entrance to Langside Library

Entrance to Langside Library


While visiting the Langside 450 display, I spotted a couple of framed pictures donated after my "Landmarks of Literacy" exhibition had been shown in the library as part of the "Glasgow, U.K. City of Architecture and Design 1999" festival.

Framed architectural images by Gerald Blaikie from 1999 exhibition

Framed architectural images by Gerald Blaikie, originally featured in 1999 exhibition


Collection of domes at Battlefield Rest and Victoria Infirmary

Collection of domes at Battlefield Rest and Victoria Infirmary

Battlefield Rest was designed as Glasgow's grandest tram shelter by Frank Burnet & Boston around the time of the start of the Great War in 1914.


Lamp and Glasgow coat of arms at Battlefield Rest

Lamp and Glasgow coat of arms at Battlefield Rest


Flagpoles at Battlefield Rest

Flagpoles at Battlefield Rest


1950's scene at Battlefield Rest

1950's scene at Battlefield Rest


Old photograph of Queen's Park School and Battlefield Rest

Old photograph of Queen's Park School and Battlefield Rest


Pupils standing outside Queen's Park School

Pupils standing outside Queen's Park School


Long evening shadows at Queen's Park School

Long evening shadows at Queen's Park School


Site of demolished Queen's Park School, 2016

Original stone gateposts and iron railings at site of demolished Queen's Park School, October 2016


No.5 tramcar passing Queen's Park School

No.5 tramcar passing Queen's Park School on way to Holmlea Road terminus


No.5 tramcar in Battlefield Road

City bound No.5 tramcar in Battlefield Road


Glasgow Corporation Transport safety monogram at Langside depot

"Glasgow Corporation Transport" GCT safety monogram at Langside depot


No.24 tramcar on Langside / Anniesland route at Renfield Street in city centre

No.24 tramcar on Langside / Anniesland route at Renfield Street in city centre


No.24 tramcar on Langside / Anniesland route

No.24 tramcar on Langside / Anniesland route


Langside Hill Church designed by Alexander Skirving, 1896, now a bar/ restaurant

Langside Hill Church designed by Alexander Skirving, 1896, now a bar/ restaurant


Circular feature at Langside Hill Church

Circular feature at Langside Hill Church


Edwardian view of Langside Hill Church and monument

Edwardian view of Langside Hill Church and monument


Queen's Park Bandstand, 1936

Queen's Park Bandstand, 1936

The original cast iron bandstand at Queen's Park was replaced in 1930 with a new structure surrounded by a terraced amphitheatre, shown above. After the bandstand was destroyed by fire in 1996 the site became overgrown and derelict.
A desire by the local communties to have a replacement for the old bandstand resulted with the erection of the new simple structure, shown below, surrounded by restored terracing. It opened in 2014 as the "Queen's Park Arena" and has since hosted concerts, operatic performances and community events.

 

Queen's Park Bandstand, 2016

Queen's Park Arena, 2016


This early 1950's scene of Battlefield Road shows a No. 5 bus from Croftfoot to St. Enoch Square and a No.12 tram from Mount Florida, en route to Paisley Road Toll, via Shields Road.

No. 5 bus & No. 12 tram at Battlefield Road

No. 5 bus & No. 12 tram at Battlefield Road


Queen's Park Synagogue, Lochleven Road, designed by Ninian Macwhannell, 1927

Queen's Park Synagogue, Lochleven Road, designed by Ninian Macwhannell, 1927


View of Queen's Park Synagogue through the gate

View of Queen's Park Synagogue through the gate


Battlefield Church, opened 1909

Langside Parish Church, originally Battlefield Established Church, designed by H.E. Clifford, 1909 - demolished 1995


Battlefield Church, opened 1909

Extract from Glasgow Herald. 17th May 1909, regarding opening of Battlefield Church the previous day


Battlefield United Free Church, designed by John Honeyman, 1865

Battlefield United Free Church, designed by John Honeyman, 1865 - later known as Battlefield East Church


Mayfair Cinema, Sinclair Drive

Mayfair Cinema in Sinclair Drive was designed by Eric. A. Sutherland; opened 1935, closed 1973 and demolished 1980


Early twentieth century view of Sinclair Drive, before completion of tenement blocks

Early twentieth century view of Sinclair Drive, before completion of tenement blocks

View of of Sinclair Drive, Battlefield, 2016

View of same stretch of Sinclair Drive, 2016


Mother with baby and toddler Sinclair Drive, c.1910

Mother with baby and toddler Sinclair Drive, c.1910


Photograph of Queen's Park from 1909

Photograph of Queen's Park from 1909


Photograph of Queen's Park gates, 1904

Photograph of Queen's Park gates, 1904


Families gathered at fancy new  Queen's Park gates

Families gathered at fancy new Queen's Park gates


Langside bound tram at corner of Victoria Road and Queens Drive

Langside bound tram at corner of Victoria Road and Queens Drive


>Photograph of tram turning from Victoria Road at  Queen's Park gates

Photograph of tram turning from Victoria Road at Queen's Park gates


Croftfoot bound bus heading for Queen's Park gates in 1930's

Croftfoot bound bus heading for Queen's Park gates in 1930's


1930's view of  motor cars  on Victoria Road, Glasgow

1930's view of motor cars on Victoria Road


>Edwardian ladies in winter scene at Queen's Park

Edwardian ladies in winter scene at Queen's Park


Small boys with model boats at the Queen's Park pond

Small boys with model boats at the Queen's Park pond


Langside Halls in dappled sunshine

Langside Halls designed by John Gibson as National Bank, Queen Street, 1847

This building was moved from the city centre to its present site and converted from a bank into public halls by the City Surveyor and Engineer, Alexander B. McDonald in 1903.


Engraving of Langside Halls

Engraving of Langside Halls when occupied by the National Bank, Queen Street


Interior of Langside Halls when used as telling room of National Bank

Interior of Langside Halls when used as telling room of the National Bank


Roof lights at Langside Halls after transposition

Roof lights at Langside Halls after transposition


Sculpture on top of Langside Halls

Sculpture on top of Langside Halls


Carved face on keystone at Langside Halls

Carved face on keystone at Langside Halls


New public square under construction at Langside Halls

New public square under construction in front of Langside Halls, September 2018


Extract from Glasgow Herald, 25th December 1903, regarding opening of Langside Halls the previous day

Extract from Glasgow Herald, 25th December 1903, regarding opening of Langside Halls the previous day

The architect of the building, John Gibson, had won the design competition with a unanimous decision. He had previously assisted the architect of the Houses of Parliament, Sir Charles Barry, in the design of the Westminster buildings.


Langside and Crossmyloof were annexed by the City of Glasgow in 1891. Councillor William Martin, the chairman at the opening ceremony of Langside Halls, mentioned a promise which had been taken by the Corporation at the time of annexation to provide public halls for the residents of the area.

Extract from Glasgow Herald, 25th December 1903, regarding opening of Langside Halls the previous day


Details of existing and proposed public halls after annexation of Glasgow suburbs in 1891

Details of existing and proposed public halls after annexation of Glasgow suburbs in 1891


Fountain at Langside Halls, c.1910

Fountain at Langside Halls, c.1910


Fountain at Langside Halls transposed to Glasgow Green

Fountain at Langside Halls, now situated at Glasgow Green


Plaque at fountain formerly at Langside Halls

Plaque at fountain formerly at Langside Halls


Dome and golden dove at fountain formerly at Langside Halls

Dome and golden dove at fountain formerly at Langside Halls


Looking up through dome at fountain formerly at Langside Halls

Looking up through dome at fountain formerly at Langside Halls


St. Helen's Church RC Church, Langside Avenue

St. Helen's RC Church, Langside Avenue, designed by John B. Wilson as Langside Road UP Church, 1897


 

Dixon Halls, Crosshill

Gorbals
-

Pollokshields, Garden Suburb
-

Govan
-

Strathbungo & Crossmyloof
-

Mount Florida
-

Pollok Park & the Burrell
-

Langside and Battlefield
-

White Cart Walk, Pollok Park
-

King's Park
-

Rivers: Brock, Levern & Cart
-

Castlemilk
-

Pollokshaws & Auldhouse
-

Queen's Park Churches
-

Shawlands & Pollokshaws Churches
-

Muirend to Cathcart
-

Old Cathcart
-

Newlands
-

White Cart Walk, Linn Park
-

Cathcart Circle - A Railway Tour
-

East Renfrewshire Suburbs
-

  archidrawings.org
Architectural Drawings of Gerald Blaikie -

All original artwork, photography and text © Gerald Blaikie 2018
Unauthorised reproduction of any image on this website is not permitted.

Contact: admin@scotcities.com