Home Page - scotcities.com    South Side Guides    Contact   


Glasgow coat of arms at Savings Bank, Muirend

Glasgow coat of arms at Savings Bank, Muirend


Former Savings Bank, now public house in Clarkston Road

Former Savings Bank, now public house in Clarkston Road


Advertising hoarding on tenement gable at Bank, Clarkston Road

Advertising hoarding on tenement gable at Bank, Clarkston Road


Floodlit view of The Bank, Clarkston Road

Floodlit view of The Bank, Clarkston Road


Old stone house converted to commercial premises

Old stone house in Clarkston Road converted to commercial premises


Red lights at old stone house in Clarkston Road

Red lights at old stone house in Clarkston Road


Close-up view of lights at old stone house in Clarkston Road

Close-up view of lights at old stone house in Clarkston Road


View of Cathcart Trinity Church from south east

View of Cathcart Trinity Church from south east


Entrance to Cathcart Trinity Church

Entrance to Cathcart Trinity Church


Interior view of Cathcart Trinity Church

Interior view of Cathcart Trinity Church


Sparkling sunlight at Cathcart Trinity Church

Sparkling sunlight at Cathcart Trinity Church


Couper Institute Halls, Clarkston Road

Couper Institute Halls, Clarkston Road


Glasgow coat of arms at Couper Institute Halls

Glasgow coat of arms at Couper Institute Halls


Couper Institute Library

Couper Institute Library


City bound tram from Netherlee passing the  Couper Institute

City bound tram from Netherlee passing the Couper Institute, c.1910


The first bridge connecting Holmlea Road to Clarkston Road had opened in 1800, facilitating development of the land to the south of the old village of Cathcart. The only crossing prior to that time had been the Snuff Mill Bridge which was not suitable for vehicular traffic. The original old bridge at Clarkston Road was replaced with the present day bridge in 1901, which was wide enough to allow the extension of the tram routes, initially to Netherlee and eventually to Clarkston.

Drawing of No.5 tram with destination board for Clarkston via Cathcart

Drawing of No.5 tram with destination board for Clarkston via Cathcart


Clarkston bound No.5 tram passing Central Station entrance, Union Street

Clarkston bound No.5 tram passing Central Station entrance, Union Street


City bound No.5 tram on Clarkston Road, Cathcart

City bound No.5 tram on Clarkston Road, Cathcart


Merrylee Telephone Exchange, built in 1928 at corner of Clarkston Road & Merrylee Road

Merrylee Telephone Exchange, built in 1928 at corner of Clarkston Road & Merrylee Road


Crow-stepped gable at Cathcart Police Station with date of construction, 1892

Crow-stepped gable at Cathcart Police Station with date of construction, 1892, in stonework


Evolutionary steps of development in Clarkston Road by height and stone colour

Evolutionary steps of development in Clarkston Road by height and stone colour


Night view of block at Clarkston Road

Night view of block at Clarkston Road


Art Deco fašade of former Toledo cinema, retained in front of modern apartment development

Art Deco fašade of former Toledo cinema, retained in front of modern apartment development


Early morning view at former Toledo cinema

Early morning view at former Toledo cinema


Night view of former Toledo cinema

Night view of former Toledo cinema


1850's map of Muirend, which was included in the ancient

1850's map of Muirend, which was included in the ancient "lands of Bogton"



Dixon Halls, Crosshill

Gorbals
-

Pollokshields, Garden Suburb
-

Govan
-

Strathbungo & Crossmyloof
-

Mount Florida
-

Pollok Park & the Burrell
-

Langside and Battlefield
-

White Cart Walk, Pollok Park
-

King's Park
-

Rivers: Brock, Levern & Cart
-

Castlemilk
-

Pollokshaws & Auldhouse
-

Queen's Park Churches
-

Shawlands & Pollokshaws Churches
-

Muirend to Cathcart
-

Old Cathcart
-

Newlands
-

White Cart Walk, Linn Park
-

Cathcart Circle - A Railway Tour
-

East Renfrewshire Suburbs
-

All original artwork, photography and text © Gerald Blaikie 2016
Unauthorised reproduction of any image on this website is not permitted.

Contact: admin@scotcities.com