Home Page - scotcities.com    Contact   


The most striking of the libraries constructed with Carnegie's 1901 gift to Glasgow were designed by the Inverness architect, James Robert Rhind.

In the closing years of the 19th century Rhind had practised in Montreal, Quebec, for a decade before returning to Scotland. This is perhaps the source of the French Beaux-Arts influences evident in his Glasgow libraries.

Francis Barrett


Francis Thornton Barrett (left) was Glasgow's City Librarian from 1877 to 1915, throughout the whole period of the introduction of the Carnegie libraries to the city. Barrett had been given the responsibility of forming a system of branch libraries for Glasgow and had supervised the architectural competition in which Rhind submitted his design proposals for the buildings.


Although James Rhind did not live or work in Glasgow, he was remarkably successful in the competition for the city's new libraries. His designs were selected for 7 of the original libraries, with 5 of them being in the Baroque style which was not at all common in Scotland at the time.

Rhind's extravagant use of columns, domes and statues brightened up many of the overcrowded dreary districts of the city where the new branches were located. The recessed windows and entrances of his libraries skilfully emphasise the shadows on the facades.
The libraries were mostly built in areas of high-density tenement housing where Rhind's distinctive monumental style successfully created local landmarks rather than mere depositories of books.

On this side of the Atlantic, Rhind's previous notable buildings had all been in the north of Scotland, the Royal Golf Hotel, Dornoch, in 1897 and the Crown Church, Inverness, in 1901. For a short period in 1904/5, while he was involved with the construction of new libraries, Rhind occupied offices in Hope Street in Glasgow city centre. He remained a fellow of the Glasgow Institute of Architects until 1914.


Woodside Library

Woodside Library, Glasgow.
Opened 10th March, 1905

Woodside library was the first of J.R.Rhind's libraries to be completed. The Glasgow Herald of 11th March 1905 quoted the architect's remarks at the opening ceremony, regarding his competition winning design. In the stilted style of his time, Rhind "ventured to think that both as regards the front elevation and the general plan and internal arrangements they would be disposed to justify his selection".

The library fašade has attractive arched windows with fluted Ionic columns either side. Similar paired columns flank the doorway. There is a huge glazed roof over the main library area, which, along with the tall windows, gives it abundant natural light.
Woodside was the largest of the Carnegie libraries of Glasgow, both in terms of floor area and the number of volumes held, reflecting perhaps the need for increasing budgetary control as the building programme progressed, as much as the size of population served in the district.
Its current use remains as a branch library.

Daniel.M.Stevenson


The library had been officially opened by the local councillor, Daniel.M.Stevenson (right), who had made a considerable contribution to establishing libraries in the city, from as early as 1896.
Stevenson had toured the library systems of Edinburgh, Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham to prepare a report for the Corporation prior to planning Glasgow's libraries.
Many years later in 1913, while he was Glasgow's Lord Provost, Daniel.M.Stevenson spoke of the success of the nearly completed scheme of district libraries, boasting that they had enjoyed a total attendance of 7,250,000 the previous year.


On 10th March 2005, the library celebrated its centenary with a special event attended by Karen Cunningham, Glasgow's Head of Libraries. Stevenson's successor, Councillor Hanzala Malik, spoke about the important role the library had played in the community. The Councillor then proceeded to cut a special "100th Birthday" cake for the guests.


Maryhill Library, Glasgow

Maryhill Library, Glasgow

This library occupies a two storey neo-classical building squeezed between the adjoining tenements.
Because of the restrictions of the site, it was designed by Rhind to a different pattern than his Baroque inspired libraries built at the same time.
The upper storey has 3 arched windows flanked by coupled Ionic columns. The ornate recessed entrance is topped by a group of statues portraying a mother reading to her children.

The library was officially opened on 4th September, 1905 by Councillor Charles. J. Cleland.
Its current use remains as a branch library.


Dennistoun Library

Dennistoun Library, Glasgow.
Opened 29th December, 1905

Rhind's library in Dennistoun, in the east of the city, is a two-storey Baroque building with a very decorative fašade. It is cleverly scaled, fitting neatly into the site with prominent bays at either end. The south bay is capped with a neatly proportioned sandstone dome. There are numerous small details, carvings and statues to add to the total effect.
The front of this library gives a strong three-dimensional impression, showing great depth and shadow.
Its current use remains as a branch library.

On 29th December 2005, the library had a 100th birthday party at which local councillor Frank Docherty was invited to cut the centenary birthday cake before he unveiled a local history exhibition.
The library had been refurbished earlier in 2005 as part of the celebrations.


Govanhill Library

Govanhill Library, Glasgow.
Opened 16th March, 1906

With this single storey building, Rhind continued with the elaborate Baroque styling of the similar library in Dennistoun which had opened three months earlier.
Situated on a busy corner, the library displays edifices to both Langside Road and Calder Street with the main entrance at Langside Road having a sandstone dome topped with a bronze statuette over the recessed doorway. The Calder street fašade features two groups of statues representing the personification of knowledge, with matronly figures reading to groups of children.
Both frontages have high arched windows with coupled Ionic columns either side.
Its current use remains as a branch library.


Bridgeton Library

Bridgeton Library, Glasgow.
Opened 17th May, 1906

This two-storey building has a long curved frontage with pedimented bays placed at either end. There is an abundance of Baroque inspired ornamentation on the fašade, which is worthy of close inspection for small detail as well as for larger features.
The single storey reading room at the northern end of the library has very attractive arched windows facing into the street.
Its current use remains as a branch library.

Parkhead Library

Parkhead Library, Glasgow.
Opened 6th August 1906

This two-storey red sandstone library was built to a well proportioned asymmetrical design with a dome over the north-west corner.
The central entrance has a pedimented portico with Ionic columns flanking the doorway and a group of statues above.
The fašade remains intact, although internally the building was modernised and made "open plan" in 1984 without major damage to the original layout.
Its current use remains as a branch library.

Shaw Maxwell


The library had been officially opened by Councillor James Shaw Maxwell (right)who was one of the early instigators of free libraries for Glasgow. As far back as September 1896, Maxwell had chaired a meeting of public bodies with an interest in free public libraries, such as the Co-operative Societies and the Glasgow Trades Council as well as educational groups such as the Teachers Association and Educational Institute.
Shaw Maxwell had brought various motions before the Corporation in 1897 and 1898 to have the Libraries Acts adopted, before the matter was finally resolved by applying to Parliament for a special Act.


Dome at Govanhill Library

 Introduction
The Carnegie Libraries


 Andrew Carnegie
His Scottish Connections


 Early Carnegie Libraries
The First in the World


 American Libraries
A Comparative Study


 Scottish Architecture
Home-grown Style


 Edwardian Renaissance
Architectural Elegance


 Baroque Extravagance
J.R. Rhind in Glasgow


 Library Architecture
Diverse Designs


 Inside the Libraries
Photographs from 1907


 Carnegie Hero
John Blaikie in 1911


 Exhibition
Landmarks of Literacy


 Links Page
Other Sites of Interest


 Gerald Blaikie - Prints and Canvasses


All original artwork, photography and text © Gerald Blaikie 2014
Unauthorised reproduction of any image on this website is not permitted.

Contact: admin@scotcities.com